Connecting Remotely to your Work Computer
Staff Apps and Remote Connectivity
Many staff applications can be accessed remotely without VPN or Remote Desktop. The Staff Apps and VPN requirements page lists the various staff applications and their remote access requirements.
Reminder: Leave Your Work Computer On
In order to be able to connect to your work computer remotely, your work computer must remain on at all times.
If your work computer is part of Managed Computing please contact the Help Desk to get Remote Desktop enabled. You may contact the Help Desk at 3500, email@example.com or https://help.caltech.edu.
IMSS recommends this option for individuals that work with sensitive information such as HR data, payroll, financials, HIPPA/FERPA protected data.
IMSS is in the process of obtaining devices (laptops or thin clients) that can be used to connect remotely to your work computer. These devices have the advantage of being managed, meaning that security updates will be pushed to them by our management console on the regular schedule.
To request a managed computing device:
- Contact your supervisor for approval
- Supervisors, please submit a request by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Home Computer Requirements
Before enabling remote desktop on your work computer, please ensure that your home computer meets the following requirements:
- Windows 10 Pro (Home edition does not include the Remote Desktop client which is needed to connect to your work computer)
- 8GB Memory
- 128GB Hard Drive
The following steps must be taken on your work computer in order to be able to connect to it remotely:
- Request VPN access (this will be needed for your home computer)
- Find your computer's IP address
- Enable Remote Desktop
- IMPORTANT (do not skip this step): Restrict Remote Desktop to Campus Network
- Request VPN Access (this will be needed for your home computer)
- Download and Install VPN (Cisco AnyConnect) on your home computer
- To access your work files and applications
- Make sure you are connected to VPN
- If you have files store locally on your computer you can save them to Box to access them from anywhere.
- If there is a specific software on your Mac work computer, you can install this software on your Mac at home. Most licenses allow you to install software on up to 5 devices